Consider the monopod as one leg of a tripod, and your legs as the opposite two. Your palms and arms present extra help, preserving the monopod regular. Utilizing the one sounds straightforward, proper? Nevertheless it does take some observe. Listed below are just a few ideas that can assist you get good outcomes:
Positioning The Monopod
1. Stand with legs about shoulder-width aside, putting the monopod centered in entrance of your legs. Lean the highest of the monopod in direction of you. This place works effectively on grass or different smooth surfaces, nonetheless, the monopod would possibly slip on clean surfaces.
2. Stand with legs about shoulder-width aside with one leg in entrance of the opposite. Place the underside of the monopod just a few inches behind your again foot, resting on the within of your thigh. A variation of this place is to maintain your toes throughout from one another and never have one in entrance. Lean ahead. (I really feel like I’m driving a broomstick.) This stance ought to work on clean and smooth floor.
3. Stand with legs about shoulder-width aside with one foot forward of the opposite. Flip the again foot out and place it in opposition to the within edge. Transfer your toes a bit should you really feel your preliminary stance isn’t fairly proper or lean to at least one aspect. It’s possible you’ll desire resting the monopod shaft in opposition to the thigh of the entrance leg. Lean ahead. This place ought to work higher on smoother surfaces.
4. Open your monopod tall sufficient so that you don’t should scrunch up your again.
Not one of the positions are set in stone, simply options to work from. Transfer round and experiment to see what works greatest for you, to present your digicam better stability when capturing.
Stabilizing the monopod
- Hold your elbows near the perimeters of your physique as you employ one hand to carry the highest of the monopod just below the digicam, pushing down on the shaft to enhance stabilization. Use the opposite hand to function the digicam.
- If it comes with a wrist strap, put your wrist by it and push it down to enhance stabilization. My wrist strap is somewhat lengthy for my wrist, so I double it as much as shorten it.
- Purchase a monopod that’s substantial sufficient in your gear in order that it supplies ample help. I take advantage of an Oben CTM-2500 5-Part Carbon Fiber Monopod. You’ll be able to learn my overview on my monopod right here.
Bettering angle of use
Add a ball head or tilt head on the highest of the monopod so that you could angle your digicam in numerous instructions. I take advantage of an Oben VH-R2 Tilt Head for Monopods except I would like the vary of movement of a ball head after which I take advantage of the ball head from my smaller journey tripod.
Giving your self choices
You’ll get the perfect outcomes out of your monopod should you truly deliver it with you. So many individuals I do know assume they are going to be superb handholding their digicam, even with a protracted lens, by simply growing the ISO and the shutter velocity. I, for one, don’t like being held captive by ISO or shutter velocity. Through the use of a monopod I acquire better management over my remaining picture, having many extra publicity choices to select from.